Hawksmaid - Kathryn Lasky (Hardcover)
The Untold Story of Robin Hood and Maid Marian
- R 392
- 4 May 2010
- Supply Source
- Kathryn Lasky
- The Untold Story of Robin Hood and Maid Marian
- Harpercollins Childrens Books
- Number of Pages
- 216 x 146 x 25mm (386g)
- In twelfth-century England, Matty grows up to be a master falconer, able to communicate with the devoted birds who later help her and Fynn, also known as Robin Hood, to foil Prince John's plot to steal the crown.
- A falconer's daughter who possesses a magical empathy for her feathered charges, Matty rescues an abandoned merlin before teaming up with her friend, Robin, to save Nottingham from a tyrannical Prince John and his nefarious sheriff. By the Newbery Honor-winning author of Sugaring Time. 45,000 first printing.
Before she was Maid Marian, she was Matty. . . .
Matty has been raised to dance well, embroider exquisitely, and marry nobly. But when Matty's mother is murdered before her very eyes and her father, a nobleman, is reduced to poverty, Matty's life changes.
As the daughter of Nottingham's most famous falconer, she finds a new destiny in the hawks her father keeps. She begins to understand their thoughts and even speak their language. The beautiful merlin Marigold becomes Matty's closest winged companion and her fiercest ally.
It is a treacherous time in England. The sheriff of Nottingham is rising to power, and a true king has been kidnapped. Determined to fight, Matty's friend Fynn becomes Robin Hood. As Maid Marian, Matty joins Fynn and his Merry Men, famously robbing from the rich to give to the poor.
You thought that you knew the legend, but this is the untold story. Bestselling author Kathryn Lasky soars to magnificent new heights here, giving us a bold tale of bravery and romance.
- General Subject
- Juvenile Grades 4-6 Ages 9-11
- BISAC Subject 1
- Juvenile Fiction / Fairy Tales & Folklore / Adaptations
- BISAC Subject 2
- Juvenile Fiction / Historical / Medieval
- Library Subject 1
- Maid Marian (Legendary character); Juvenile fiction.
- Library Subject 2
- Robin Hood (Legendary character); Juvenile fiction.
- Library Subject 3
- Maid Marian (Legendary character); Fiction.
- Academic Subject 1
- Children's Fiction / Historical
- Dewey Classification