The Librarian Who Measured the Earth - Kathryn Lasky (School And Library)
Dispatched in 20 to 30 working days
- R 428
- 1 Sep 1994
- Supply Source
- School And Library
- Little Brown & Co
- Number of Pages
- 292 x 222 x 19mm (476g)
- A colorfully illustrated biography of the Greek philosopher and scientist Eratosthenes follows his life as he becomes Alexandria's chief librarian, writes the first geography book, and accurately measures the globe's circumference.
A perfect introduction to mathematical concepts for young readers, written by a Newbery honor-winning author!
This colorfully illustrated biography of the Greek philosopher and scientist Eratosthenes, who compiled the first geography book and accurately measured the globe's circumference, is just right for budding mathematicians, scientists, historians, and librarians! Filled with fascinating details about Eratosthenes's world (and in print since 1994), kids are sure to flip through the pages time and again.
Easy Non Fiction
- General Subject
- Juvenile Grades 2-3 Ages 7-8
- BISAC Subject 1
- Juvenile Fiction / Historical / Ancient Civilizations
- BIC Classification 1
- Biography: general
- Library Subject 1
- Astronomy, Greek; Juvenile literature.
- Library Subject 2
- Geography, Ancient; Juvenile literature.
- Library Subject 3
- Geographers; Greece; Biography; Juvenile literature.
- Dewey Classification
Kathryn Lasky has written a variety of books for children, including fiction, picture books, and many nonfiction books. She is the author of the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series and several titles in the Dear America series, and her book Sugaring Time was awarded a Newbery Honor in 1983. In 1986 she received the Washington Post-Children's Book Guild Award for the body of her nonfiction work. Kevin Hawkes has written and illustrated many books for young readers, including Library Lion and Then the Troll Heard a Squeak. In illustrating The Librarian Who Measured the Earth, he was inspired by the Greek landscape and light, as well as the challenge of bringing a subject like ancient history to life. Kevin lives with his wife and children in Southern Maine.