Misconceptions - Naomi Wolf (Paperback)
Truth, Lies, and the Unexpected on the Journey to Motherhood
Dispatched in 20 to 30 working days
- R 399
- 4 Feb 2003
- Supply Source
- Naomi Wolf
- Truth, Lies, and the Unexpected on the Journey to Motherhood
- Random House Inc
- 203 x 127 x 19mm (254g)
- A provocative combination of intimate revelations and social commentary examines the powerful emotional terrain of impending motherhood as the author documents the joy, wonder, and psychological effects of her own pregnancy as well as other first-time mothers by delving into a wealth of issues and beliefs surrounding pregnancy and motherhood in America today. Reprint. 40,000 first printing.
- Examines the emotional terrain of impending motherhood as the author documents her own pregnancy and those of other first-time mothers by delving into a wealth of issues and beliefs surrounding pregnancy and motherhood in America today.
In Misconceptions, bestselling author Naomi Wolf she
demythologizes motherhood and reveals the dangers of common
assumptions about childbirth. With uncompromising honesty she
describes how hormones eroded her sense of independence,
ultrasounds tested her commitment to abortion rights, and the
keepers of the OB/GYN establishment lacked compassion. The weeks
after her first daughter’s birth taught her how society, employers,
and even husbands can manipulate new mothers. She had bewildering
post partum depression, but learned that a surprisingly high
percentage of women experience it.
Wolf’s courageous willingness to talk about the unexpected difficulties of childbirth will help every woman become a more knowledgeable planner of her pregnancy and better prepare her for the challenges of balancing a career, freedom, and a growing family. Invaluable in its advice to parents, Misconceptions speaks to anyone connected–personally, medically, or professionally–to a new mother.
- General Subject
- BISAC Subject 1
- Health & Fitness / Pregnancy & Childbirth
- Library Subject 1
- Pregnancy; Psychological aspects.
- Library Subject 2
- Motherhood; Psychological aspects.
- Library Subject 3
- Motherhood; Social aspects.
- Dewey Classification