The Ultimate Harry Potter and Philosophy - Gregory Bassham (Paperback)
Hogwarts for Muggles
- R 384
- 14 Sep 2010
- Supply Source
- Hogwarts for Muggles
- John Wiley & Sons Inc
- Number of Pages
- 229 x 152 x 25mm (417g)
- "The Ultimate Harry Potter: Hogwarts for Muggles, is a fresh and distinctive report on the great ideas in the series. All the authors of these chapters have had the advantage of thinking through their chosen issues, and writing up their conclusions afterthe entire Potter storyline was complete, and Rowling had even had her say in public about things that never made it into the pages of the official texts. The philosophers and other top Harry Potter experts gathered together here offer new voices and newperspectives on many of the most important ideas that come up in the books--some of which can be genuinely life changing. Reading this book will be like putting on a Philosophical De-Coder Ring. It will show you vital aspects of the deepest story that lies behind these famous stories"--
A philosophical exploration of the entire seven-book Harry Potter series
Harry Potter has been heralded as one of the most popular book series of all time and the philosophical nature of Harry, Hermione, and Ron's quest to rid the world of its ultimate evil is one of the many things that make this series special. The Ultimate Harry Potter and Philosophy covers all seven titles in J.K. Rowling's groundbreaking series and takes fans back to Godric's Hollow to discuss life after death, to consider what moral reasoning drove Harry to choose death, and to debate whether Sirius Black is a man or a dog.
With publication timed to coincide with the release of the movie Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1), this book will be the definitive guide for all fans looking to appreciate the series on a deeper level.
- Covers a range of intriguing topics such as the redemption of Severus Snape, the power of love, and destiny in the wizarding world
- Gives you a new perspective on Harry Potter characters, plot lines, and themes
- Makes a perfect companion to the Harry Potter books and movies
Packed with interesting ideas and insights, The Ultimate Harry Potter and Philosophy is an ideal companion for anyone interested in unraveling the subtext and exploring the greater issues at work in the story.
- General Subject
- BISAC Subject 1
- Philosophy / General
- BISAC Subject 2
- Literary Criticism / Children's Literature
- BISAC Subject 3
- Literary Criticism / Science Fiction & Fantasy
- BIC Classification 1
- Library Subject 1
- Potter, Harry (Fictitious character)
- Library Subject 2
- Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (Imaginary organization)
- Library Subject 3
- Philosophy in literature.
- Academic Subject 1
- Philosophy (General)
- Academic Subject 2
- Literary History And Criticism
- Dewey Classification
Is it always wrong to use a love potion? Is death something to be feared . . . or ”mastered”? What can Severus Snape teach us about the possibility of redemption? Is love the most powerful magic of all?
J. K. Rowling's wildly popular Harry Potter books may appear to be simple children's tales on the surface, but like Hogwarts, they conceal many hidden chambers, trapdoors, and perplexing secrets. Drawing on all seven books in the Harry Potter series, The Ultimate Harry Potter and Philosophy offers a powerful brew of insights about good and evil, love, death, power, sacrifice, and hope. Is it true, as Dumbledore says, that our choices reveal far more about us than our abilities do? Is there an afterlife, and what might it be like? Here's a Pensieve for your thoughts. So take a healthy slug of Baruffio's Brain Elixir and join Bassham's Army of talented philosophers in exploring the mind-stretching deeper questions of the Potter books and films.