The Extra - Kathryn Lasky (CD/Spoken Word)
- R 1,306
- 8 Oct 2013
- Supply Source
- Library Edition
- CD/Spoken Word
- Brilliance Audio
- 165 x 178 x 32mm (272g)
- Arrested by Hitler's police and imprisoned as part of the "Gypsy plague," fifteen-year-old Lilo is chosen by Nazi filmmaker Leni Riefenstahl to work as an extra, forcing Lilo to choose between working under constant danger or fleeing for her life.
- Abruptly arrested by Hitler's police and imprisoned as part of the "Gypsy plague," 15-year-old Lilo is chosen by the dictator's favorite filmmaker, Leni Riefenstahl, to work as an extra, forcing Lilo to choose between working under constant danger or fleeing for her life. By the Newbury Honor-winning author of Sugaring Time. Simultaneous.
One ordinary afternoon, fifeen-year-old Lilo and her family are suddenly picked up by Hitler&;s police and imprisoned as part of the "Gypsy plague." Just when it seems certain that they will be headed to a labor camp, Lilo is chosen by filmmaker Leni Riefenstahl to work as a film extra. Life on the film set is a bizarre alternate reality. The surroundings are glamorous, but Lilo and the other extras are barely fed, closely guarded, and kept in a locked barn when not on the movie set. And the beautiful, charming Riefenstahl is always present, answering the slightest provocation with malice, flaunting the power to assign prisoners to life or death. Lilo takes matters into her own hands, effecting an escape and running for her life. In this chilling but ultimately uplifting novel, Kathryn Lasky imagines the lives of the Gypsies who worked as extras for the real Nazi filmmaker Leni Riefenstahl, giving readers a story of survival unlike any other.
- General Subject
- Juvenile Grades 7-9 Ages 12-14
- BISAC Subject 1
- Juvenile Fiction / Historical / Holocaust
- BISAC Subject 2
- Juvenile Fiction / Social Issues / Prejudice & Racism
- BISAC Subject 3
- Juvenile Fiction / Performing Arts / Film
- Library Subject 1
- World War, 1939-1945; Juvenile fiction.
- Library Subject 2
- Romanies; Fiction.
- Library Subject 3
- Motion pictures; Production and direction; Fiction.
- Academic Subject 1
- Teen's Fiction / Historical
- Academic Subject 2
- Lasky, Kathryn
- Dewey Classification