Tamiya - 1/48 Grumman F-14A Tomcat (Plastic Model Kit)
The Grumman F-14 Tomcat is a supersonic, twin-engine, two-seat, variable-sweep wing fighter aircraft. The Tomcat was developed for the United States Navy's Naval Fighter Experimental (VFX) program following the collapse of the F-111B project. The F-14 was the first of the American teen-series fighters, which were designed incorporating the experience of air combat against MiG fighters during the Vietnam War.
This specific model kit depicts the F-14A Tomcat variant. The F-14A was the initial two-seat, twin-engine, all-weather interceptor fighter variant for the U.S. Navy. It first flew on December 21, 1970. As a U.S. Navy fighter it fulfilled the dual roles of long range interceptor and air superiority fighter, and later bomber. Deployed from 1974 to 2006, it successfully employed a "swing wing", which offered variable sweep. The F-14A, which covers most of the early variants, was the most prolifically-produced variant of the Tomcat. 79 were exported to Iran before U.S.-Iranian relations began to deteriorate, and later took part in the Iran-Iraq War.
- Scale: 1/48
- Construction type: Assembly kit
- Photo-etch parts: Not included
- Decals: Included
- Special feature 1: Fuselage length: 398mm; wingspan: 212mm - 408mm
- Special feature 2: Moveable swing wing - it can be depicted at angles from 20-75 degrees.
- Special feature 3: The aircraft is depicted in parked position, with landing gear deployed.
- Special feature 4: Separate parts are included to depict the different airbag and sealing plate
- shapes with the wing at 20 and 75 dgrees.
- Special feature 5: Canopy can be opened.
- Special feature 6: Ladder and step components can be built in deployed or stowed positions.
- Special feature 7: Comes with 3 marking options: 2 for high-visibility F-14As from the VF-84 (Jolly Rogers) and VF-2 (Bounty Hunters) U.S. Navy Fighter Squadrons, plus 1 Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF) unit F-14A.
- Special feature 8: Extra parts are included to depict the refuelling probe and its bay, which were uncovered on IRIAF F-14s.
- Special feature 9: 2 highly-realistic figures are included to depict seated pilot and Radar Intercept Officer (RIO).
- Special feature 10: Missile parts depict air-to-air missiles: AIM-9 Sidewinders (x4), AIM-7 Sparrow (x4) and AIM-54 Phoenix (x4).