Out of Stock
- R 117
Whoopi Goldberg and Dianne Wiest star in this US comedy directed by Donald Petrie. Financial analyst Laurel Ayres (Goldberg) leaves her company after her white, less-talented colleague Frank (Timothy Daly) is promoted in her place. Attempting to set up her own partnership, she finds that clients are unwilling to sign with her, either because of her sex or her skin colour. Determined to make her partnership a success, she invents a male partner named Robert S. Cutty, and business soon begins to pick up. However, when Cutty is then accused of illegal business practices, Laurel is forced into impersonating him herself.
- Movies & TV
- 2 May 2005
- Region 2
- 4 Front Video
- Interactive Menus
- 109 min
- Age Restriction
- Supply Source
- Release Year
- Running Time
- 114 min
- Comedies / Big Business / Farce / Mistaken Identity / Scams And Cons / Social Issues / Switching Roles / Theatrical Release
- After being passed up for a promotion, a black, female financial analyst at a prestigious firm quits to set up her own operation. She soon realizes, however, that potential clients only feel comfortable investing with men. Her solution? Create a phony partner and bring Wall Street to its knees. Based on the French film, "L'Associe."
- Released theatrically in the USA October 25, 1996.
Based on the film "L'Associe," which is based on Jenaro Prieto's novel "El Socio."
Color by Technicolor.
- Cast & Crew
- Donald Petrie
- Whoopi Goldberg / Tim Daly / Lainie Kazan / George Martin / Bebe Neuwirth / Austin Pendleton / Eli Wallach / Dianne Wiest
- Alberto Alejandrino / Joel Blake / Craig Braun / Leon Addison Brown / Ted Brunetti / Judith Calder / Colleen Camp / Miles Chapin / Jean De Baer / Daryl Edwards / Jonathan Freeman / Arthur French / Larry Gilliard / Jerry Hardin / Baxter Harris / William Hill / Zeljko Ivanek / Allison Janney / Billy Jaye / Nicholas Kepros / Kenny Kerr / Vincent Laresca / Robert Levine / Kathleen McClellan / Boris McGiver / Bernie McInerney / Peter McRobbie / Johnny Miller / George Morfogen / Liana Pai / Sally Jessy Raphael / Rex Robbins / Frederick Rolf / John Rothman / Socorro Santiago / John Short / Brian Tarantina / Donald Trump / Louis Turenne / Thomas Wagner / Katherine Wallach / Ira Wheeler / Lee Wilkof / Ginny Yang
- Movie Critics
- Entertainment Weekly
- "...A shrewd little comedy....A glimpse of what the kick-ass new world order might be if Whoopi ran the boardroom..." -- Rating: B— Lisa Schwarzbaum (1 Nov 1996, pp.43-4)
- Los Angeles Times
- "...Goldberg plays the character perfectly, affecting a raspy voice that would convince anyone..."— Jack Mathews (25 Oct 1996, p.F6)
- "...On target as a sharp-edged satire....The dialogue is snappy...THE ASSOCIATE is a brightly polished confection that boasts first-rate production values..."— Joe Leydon (21 Oct 1996, )