Sleepless In Seattle (Region 1 DVD)
Dispatched in 20 to 25 working days
- R 251
Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan star in Nora Ephron's wonderfully romantic comedy about two people drawn together by destiny. Direction: Nora Ephron Actors: Dana Ivey, Meg Ryan, Rita Wilson. Year: 2002 Runtime: 102 minutes Original Language: English.
- Movies & TV
- 30 Jan 2007
- Region 1
- Sony Pictures
- 105 min
- Age Restriction
- Supply Source
- Sleepless in Seattle
- Release Year
- Running Time
- 105 min
- Comedies / Blockbuster / Essential Cinema / Love Story / New York City / Recommended / Romance / Theatrical Release
- Sam Baldwin (Tom Hanks) is a good father and a successful architect. But he's also a lonely widower. One night his precocious 8-year-old son Jonah calls a late-night radio talk show seeking a cure for his father's despondency. When Sam hesitantly takes the phone and discloses the story of his magic-filled marriage, he proves to be a deeply feeling and gentle man. His plight profoundly moves the program's sympathetic female listeners, and thousands of women write in offering to help him `recover' from his mournful insomnia. Recently betrothed Annie Reed (Meg Ryan) is one of the many listeners touched by Sam's story. To complicate matters, she's afraid her upcoming marriage promises stability and security but no excitement. Although Annie's supposed to be driving to her future in-laws' house for the holidays, she knows that she's already fallen in love with Sam and is on the road to destiny. Academy Award Nominations: Best (Original) Screenplay, Best Song ("A Wink and a Smile").
- Academy Award-nominated writer Nora Ephron ("When Harry Met Sally," "Silkwood") has scripted several screenplays. She first became involved with "Sleepless In Seattle" as one of the writers. But as soon as producer Gary Foster saw her directorial debut film "This Is My Life," he asked Ephron to consider directing "Sleepless" as well.
The film was shot in 12 weeks. About nine of those weeks were spent filming in Seattle. Additional filming locations include Chicago, Baltimore, and New York. One of the production designer's tasks was to reconstruct the Empire State Building's observation deck in a hanger at the Sands Point Naval Base. A huge photograph of the Big Apple's skyline was placed around the stage. The crew accomodated the filming equipment by building the deck-stage larger than the actual observation deck.
Actress Meg Ryan, made her feature film debut as Candice Bergen's daughter in "Rich and Famous." In 1986 she played in the film "Top Gun." Her additional film roles included: "Promise Land," "DOA," "Innerspace," "The Presidio" and "The Doors."
Consummate comedian Tom Hanks, who got his start in the television sitcom "Bousom Buddies," went on to star in "Splash," Volunteers," "The Money Pit" and "Nothing In Common." In 1988, he received acclaim for his work in "Punchline" and "Big." Hanks was recently featured in the motion picture "A League of Their Own," about an all-women's baseball team.
"Sleepless In Seattle" is the first picture Ryan and Hanks have made together since they appeared in "Joe Versus the Volcano," (1990).
Producer-director-actor Rob Reiner appears as Jay, a contractor who works with Hanks' Sam Baldwin. Reiner left his role as Michael Stivic of "All in the Family" and became one of Hollywood's most successful directors. "Misery" and "A Few Good Men," are just a couple of the films he's directed.
Child actor Ross Malinger's, screen credits include "Good Advice," "Eve of Destruction," "Kindergarden Cop," and "Late For Dinner."
Nicholas Meyers was the music editor and music supervisor, Jeffrey Popllack was the music consultant, and Walter Bernard and Milton Glaser did the titles design.
A clip from the film "An Affair to Remember" (1957) directed by Leo McCarey, is used in the film.
Other songs used in the film: "A Kiss to Build a Dream On" "The Wee Small Hours of the Morning" "Make Someone Happy" "When I Fall in Love."
Rated BBFC PG by the British Board of Film Classification.
Copyright 1993 TriStar Pictures, Inc.
Available to buy in the UK.
- Release Notes
Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Region [unknown]
- Cast & Crew
- Movie Critics
- Chicago Sun-Times
- "...The actors are well-suited to this material....Meg Ryan, who is one of the most likable actresses around and has a certain ineffable Doris Day innocence, is able to convince us of the magical quality of her sudden love..."— Roger Ebert (25 Jun 1993, p.43)
- New York Times
- "...A feather-light romantic comedy....[Hanks and Ryan] are terrifically attractive..."— Vincent Canby (25 Jun 1993, p.C10)
- Rolling Stone
- "...The hippest, frankest and funniest date movie around..."— Peter Travers (8 Jul 1993, p.119-120)
- USA Today
- "...Charming SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE manages to be dateless - as in timeless - as it pays homage to date movies of yore..." -- 3 out of 4 stars— Susan Wloszczyna (25 Jun 1993, p.1D)
- "...[The film] delivers ample warmth and some explosively funny moments....There are some extremely amusing explorations of dating mores..."— Brian Lowry (21 Jun 1993, )