An Officer and a Gentleman (DVD)
- R 53
Richard Gere (Internal Affairs, Runaway Bride) stars as Navy recruit Zack Mayo, while the stunning DEBRA WINGER (Terms of Endearment, Betrayed) is his love interest. LOU GOSSETT JNR (Monolith, Toy Soldiers) won an Academy Award for his brilliant portrayal of a tough drill instructor. DAVID KEITH (U-571, Major League 2) plays Zacks struggling fellow candidate. Zack Mayo (GERE) is a young loner with a bad attitude. Tempted by the glamour and admiration of the life of a Navy pilot, he decides to sign up for Officer Candidate School. After thirteen tortuous weeks under Gunnery Sergeant Emil Foley (GOSSETT JNR), he slowly begins to learn the importance of discipline, love and friendship. Foley warns Zack about the local girls who will do anything to catch themselves a pilot for a husband, but despite this, Zack finds himself falling in love with Paula (WINGER).
AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN is a rich and touching story with moving performances from GERE and WINGER guaranteed to stay with you long after the film has ended.
- Movies & TV
- 13 Aug 2001
- Region 2
- Paramount Pictures
- 119 min
- Age Restriction
- 16 LS
- Supply Source
- South Africa
- Release Year
- Running Time
- 124 min
- Dramas / Action / Adventure / Essential Cinema / Friends / Military / Personal Triumph / Recommended / Romance / Self-Discovery / Theatrical Release
- Zack Mayo (Richard Gere) has nothing--the son of an alcoholic, indifferent military father, he's grown up in the Philippines living on top of a brothel. But after college he decides he wants more and, despite his father's mockery, enrolls in the navy's Officer Candidate School to become a jet pilot. His sergeant, brilliantly played by Louis Gossett Jr., makes his life a living hell from day one, but Zack won't quit. The candidates are warned to stay away from the local girls looking for naval husbands, but Zack and his bunkmate, Sid (David Keith), find themselves falling for two friends, Paula (Debra Winger) and Lynette (Lisa Blount), who work at the local paper mill. Zack fights his feelings for Paula, determined to let nothing sway him from his goals. But as the hellish weeks of training go by, Zack begins to see that maybe he can't do it alone--and that what's getting him through are his friends in the ranks, and the girl he's been pushing away. Widely acclaimed at the time of its release, director Taylor Hackford's inspiring film is a romance for the ages.
- Partially shot on location in the Philippines and Mexico.
NYPD BLUE's David Caruso appears in the supporting role of Topper Daniels.
Ed Begley Jr. provides the voice of the altitude chamber instructor.
- Cast & Crew
- Movie Critics
- Entertainment Weekly
- "[T]he two stars are mighty captivating." -- Grade: B— Tim Purtell (27 Apr 2007, p.127)
- New York Times
- "...A first-rate movie -- a beautifully acted, thoroughly involving romance..."— Janet Maslin (28 Jul 1982, p.C17)
- Ultimate DVD
- 3 stars out of 5 -- "[I]ts exploration of the trappings of love is still a remarkably modern one."— Natalie Braine (1 Aug 2007, p.103)
- "...Many finely-drawn characters to care about....[The director] controls these characters completely, deftly mixing his documentarian's training with the dramatist's art..."— Har. (21 Jul 1982, )