Beatles - Help (Region A Blu-ray)
Dispatched in 25 to 35 working days
This item is allowed to be delivered during Lockdown Level 4
- R 243
HELP! Appears on Blu-ray in a single-disc package pairing the digitally restored film and 5.1 soundtrack with an hour of extra features, including a 30- minute documentary about the making of the film, memories of the cast and crew, an in-depth look at the restoration process, an outtake scene, and original theatrical trailers and radio spots. An introduction by the films director, Richard Lester, and an appreciation by Martin Scorsese are included in the Blu-rays booklet. Directed by Richard Lester, who also directed the bands debut feature film, 1964s a HARD DAYS NIGHT, HELP! #follows The Beatles as they become passive recipients of an outside plot that revolves around Ringo's possession of a sacrificial ring, which he cannot remove from his finger. As a result, he and his band mates John, Paul and George are chased from London to the Austrian Alps and the Bahamas by religious cult members, a mad scientist and the London police.
- Movies & TV
- 25 Jun 2013
- Supply Source
- South Africa
- Beatles - Help!
- Release Year
- Alternate Title
- Musical & Performing Arts / Musicals / Pop Music / Adventure / Beatles / British / Rock Legends
- The Beatles followed up their debut film, A HARD DAY'S NIGHT, with this fanciful spy spoof. When Ringo adds a new ring to his collection, he's unaware of how important and dangerous this piece of jewelry is. On one hand, a religious cult considers it a sacred object and the wearer must become a sacrifice to their gods. On the other hand, the ring has magical abilities that hold the key to supreme power. Soon the boys from Liverpool are engaged in a slapstick and madcap chase round the world, as a crazed scientist, a pack of crooks, and several religious fanatics set out to capture the band. Watch for the English Channel swimmer who seems to be perpetually lost and appears in nearly every location. Includes Beatles' hits including "Help!," "Ticket To Ride," "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away," and many more.
- Theatrical release: August 9, 1965
World premiere at the London Pavilion Theatre, July 29, 1965.
Part of the film was shot on location on Paradise Island in the Bahamas in February 1965.
Originally, HELP! had the working title EIGHT ARMS TO HOLD YOU, but the band changed the title after failing to produce material relating to it.
The film was "respectfully dedicated" to the memory of Mr. Elias Howe, whom in 1846, invented the sewing machine.
Songs include "Help!," "You're Gonna Lose That Girl," "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away," "The Night Before," "Another Girl," "Ticket to Ride," and "I Need You".
The film, along with A HARD DAYS NIGHT, was restored over a span of four years. Original prints were discovered in U.S. warehouses, while some restoration work was done from prints with German subtitles.
The restored version of HELP! was shown on the American Movie Classics cable channel on July 2nd, 1996, during the station's fourth annual "Film Preservation Festival."
- Cast & Crew
- Movie Critics
- 4 stars out of 5 -- "[With] musical interludes, absurdist humour and director Richard Lester's nutty invention and energy..."— Ian Freer (1 Jan 2008, p.201)
- Entertainment Weekly
- "...Entertaining....[The music] is wonderful and the European scenery and eyeful..." -- Rating: B+— Ira Robbins (20 Oct 1995, p.75)
- Rolling Stone
- 4 stars out of 4 -- "[N]onstop slapstick, even more like a cartoon than the later, animated YELLOW SUBMARINE..."— David Fricke (15 Nov 2007, p.205)
- 3 stars out of 5 -- "[C]heck out the filters on 'Another Girl' and the insouciantly inventive editing on 'Ticket To Ride,' not to mention the gorgeous kaleidoscopic end credits..."— Jonathan Romney (1 Dec 2007, p.138)