Criterion Collection: Wise Blood (Region 1 DVD)
Dispatched in 20 to 25 working days
- R 716
Brad Dourif, Ned Beatty, Harry Dean Stanton. Though he doesn't even believe in God, a man decides to found a new religious order after he's mistaken for a priest. Adapted from Flannery O'Connor's novel. 1979/color/105 min/PG/widescreen.
- Movies & TV
- 12 May 2009
- Region 1
- 105 min
- Age Restriction
- Supply Source
- Wise Blood
- Release Year
- Running Time
- 106 min
- Comedies / Recommended / Religion / Satire / Scams And Cons / Spirituality / Theatrical Release
- A scathing satire of crooked ministers. While attempting to live a life filled with sin, a man is mistaken for a preacher, and, true to form, he founds a new religious order. Based on a novel by Flannery O'Connor.
- "Wise Blood" premiered out of competition at the 1979 Cannes Film Festival as part of a John Huston retrospective.
Additional cast: Mary Bell Santacroce (Landlady).
Shot on location in the American South.
An Ithaca-Anthea coproduction and release. Jointly financed by the U.S. and West Germany.
- Release Notes
- Keep Case
- Widescreen - 1.78
- Dolby Digital 1.0 Mono - English
Additional Release Material:
Additional Audio Material:
- 1. A GOOD MAN IS HARD TO FIND READING - Flannery O’Connor, Author
- 1. Brad Dourif, Actor
- 2. Benedict Fitzgerald, Writer
- 3. Michael Fitzgerald, Writer/Producer
- 1. Creativity With Bill Moyers/John Huston - 1982 TV Episode
- 1. Theatrical Feature
- Booklet - Essay - Francine Prose, Author
- Cast & Crew
- Movie Critics
- A.V. Club
- "It's a story that seeks to reconcile extremes without changing them, or losing the harshness of their clash." -- Grade: B+— Keith Phipps (20 May 2009, )
- New York Times
- "...One of John Huston's most original, most stunning movies. It's so eccentric, so funny, so surprising and so haunting that it is difficult to believe it is not the first film of some enfant terrible..."— Vincent Canby (29 Sep 1979, p.12)