City of the Living Dead (Region A Blu-ray)
Out of Stock
- R 499
Directed by Lucio Fulci. Starring Carlo de Mejo, Christopher George, Antonella Interlenghi.
- Movies & TV
- 26 Nov 2013
- Supply Source
- Release Year
- Running Time
- 93 min
- Alternate Title
- Rotten Tomatoes®
- 54% 56%
- After a priest commits suicide, a ghastly horror is unleashed on the quaint New England town of Dunwich. The rotting denizens of the local cemetery rise and walk the Earth. A journalist teams up with a psychic to send the dead back into the earth. If their race against time is lost, within three days all hell will break loose--literally! Highly recommended, although not for the squeamish.
- US theatrical release 1983 (Unrated).
Filmed on location in Savannah Georgia.
Begins a three film (CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, THE BEYOND and HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY) collaboration between director Lucio Fulci and actress Katherine MacColl.
In the credits for CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, Katherine MaCaoll is listed by her birth name, Catriona. After her agent came to realize that Italian words ending in o-n-a typically mean "large," the actress decided on the name change for her next two films with director Lucio Fulci.
On England's "video nasties" list and released there without the power-drill sequence and the woman vomiting her innards.
Actress Katherine MacColl nearly refused to perform in two scenes; one in which she is to be buried alive then rescued via a near-miss pick-axe chopping through the coffin, and the second being the maggot windstorm scene, which was a combination of rice and actual worms. The actress confessed to being in "real" tears during the later scene.
Features director Michele Soavi (THE CHURCH, CEMETERY MAN) in a bit part as as "Tommy".
CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD contains an abundance of inadvertently comical camera zoom-ins to the actor's eyes, which became standard in the following Lucio Fulci's films.
Fulci credits the film's ending to editor Vincenzo Tomassi, whom created the scene after the original footage was accidentally destroyed.
- Release Notes
Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Region [unknown]
- Note: The Making of City of the Living Dead - Interviews with star Catriona MacColl, co-star Michele Soavi, production designer Massimo Antonello Geleng, assistant makeup effects artist Rosario Prestopino, special effects artist Gino De Rossi, cinematographer Sergio Salvati, and camera operator Roberto Forges Davanzat
- Acting Among the Dead - interview with star Catriona MacColl
- Entering the Gates pf Hell - interview with star Giovani Lombardo Radice
- Memories of the Maestro - the cast and crew reminsce about working with Lucio Fulci
- Marketing of the Living Dead - poster & still gallery
- Theatrical trailers
- Radio spots
- Still gallery
- Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- DTS HD Master Audio - English
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish