Wise Blood (DVD)
Dispatched in 15 to 20 working days
- R 197
John Huston directs this offbeat and darkly comedic drama set in the American Deep South in the post-war era, adapted from the 1952 novel by Flannery O'Connor. Brad Dourif stars as Hazel Motes, an ambitious but uneducated war veteran who, in his twisted quest for salvation, attempts to become a travelling preacher and sets up the Church of Truth Without Christ. Along the spiritual path he meets a bizarre assortment of unsavoury characters including hellfire-and-brimstone street preacher Asa Hawks (Harry Dean Stanton).
- Movies & TV
- 12 Sep 2016
- Region 0
- Screenbound Pictures
- Interactive Menus
- 102 min
- Age Restriction
- Supply Source
- Wise Blood
- Release Year
- Running Time
- 106 min
- Comedies / Recommended / Religion / Satire / Scams And Cons / Spirituality / Theatrical Release
- A scathing satire of crooked ministers. While attempting to live a life filled with sin, a man is mistaken for a preacher, and, true to form, he founds a new religious order. Based on a novel by Flannery O'Connor.
- "Wise Blood" premiered out of competition at the 1979 Cannes Film Festival as part of a John Huston retrospective.
Additional cast: Mary Bell Santacroce (Landlady).
Shot on location in the American South.
An Ithaca-Anthea coproduction and release. Jointly financed by the U.S. and West Germany.
- Cast & Crew
- Movie Critics
- A.V. Club
- "It's a story that seeks to reconcile extremes without changing them, or losing the harshness of their clash." -- Grade: B+— Keith Phipps (20 May 2009, )
- New York Times
- "...One of John Huston's most original, most stunning movies. It's so eccentric, so funny, so surprising and so haunting that it is difficult to believe it is not the first film of some enfant terrible..."— Vincent Canby (29 Sep 1979, p.12)