Macbeth (Region A Blu-ray)
- Movies & TV
- 15 Nov 2016
- Supply Source
- Release Year
- Running Time
- 107 min
- Dramas / Classic / Medieval / Murder / Recommended / Stage Play / Suspense / Theatrical Release / Thriller / Tragedy
- A dark, moody screen version of the classic tragedy about a presumptuous Scottish prince's quest for power through patricide--in keeping with both the play's spirit and Welles' vision. As with his other masterpieces, Welles effectively mixes the use of shadow and oblique camera angles to achieve the ominous sense of a land in peril. Originally cut to 89 minutes for theatrical release, the film has been restored to its full 105 minutes, with dialogue redubbed by Welles and the other actors to cut down on the Scottish accents. Nominated for an award in the 1948 Venice Film Festival.
- Filmed on a low budget over three weeks, entirely on sets.
Numerous versions of the film exist, some featuring the original Scottish accents, some with dubbed English accents. Director Orson Welles' cut runs 112 minutes long. Variety reviewed a 106-minute version in October 1948, and the film was edited and re-edited over the next two years, until only 89 minutes remained. The U.C.L.A. Film and Television Archives later restored the film to its original length.
This was not the first time Welles had directed "Macbeth." His most notable production was an all-black version that focused on the witches and voodoo, staged in 1936.
Optical effects by Consolidated Film Industries.
Additional cast: George Chirello (Seyton), Lionel Braham (Siward), Jerry Farber (Fleance), Archie Heugly (Young Siward), Brainerd Duffield (First Murderer, Voice of Witch), and Robert Alan (Second Murderer).
- Release Notes
Blu-ray Disc Features:
Note: Disc One:
- Audio commentary with Welles biographer Joseph McBride
- "Welles and Shakespeare" - an interview with Welles expert Professor Michael Anderegg
- "Adopting Sheakespeare on Film" - a conversation with directors Carlo Carlei (Romeo & Juliet) and Billy Moissette (Scotland, PA)
- Excerpt from We Work Again, a 1937 WPA documentary containing scenes from Welles's Federal Theatre Project production of Macbeth
- "That Was Orson Welles" - an interview with Welles's close friend and co-author Peter Bogdanovich
- "Restoring Macbeth" - an interview with former UCLA Film & Television Archive Preservation officer Robert Gitt
- "Free Republic: Herbert J. Yates and the story of Republic Pictures"
- Full Frame - 1.33
- Subtitles - English
- Cast & Crew
- Orson Welles
- Orson Welles / William Alland / Edgar Barrier / Lionel Braham / George "Shorty" Chirello / Robert Coote / Keene Curtis / John Dierkes / Brainerd Duffield / Jerry Farber / Morgan Farley / Archie Heugly / Charles Lederer / Roddy McDowall / Alan Napier / Jeanette Nolan / Dan O'Herlihy / Erskine Sanford / Gus Schilling / Lurene Tuttle / Peggy Webber / Christopher Welles
- Orson Welles
- Jacques Ibert
- Orson Welles
- Louis Lindsay
- Production Designer
- Fred A. Ritter
- William Shakespeare