Women (1939) (Region 1 DVD)
- Movies & TV
- 13 Mar 2018
- Supply Source
- It's all about men!
- Release Year
- Running Time
- 133 min
- United States of America
- $1.7 million
- $2.3 million
- A happily married woman lets her catty friends talk her into divorce when her husband strays.
- Set in a 1930s Manhattan milieu of idle socialites and gossip, George Cukor's THE WOMEN is an opulent rendition of the Clare Boothe Luce play. While no men appear in the film, they are grist for the mill in the social circle of Mary Haines (Norma Shearer) and her catty clique of high-society wives. However, Mary's tidy world is turned upside down when she accidentally learns of her husband's philandering. Crystal Allen (Joan Crawford), a vicious vixen and ruthless gold digger, has set her sights on Mary's husband; Mary initially plays right into her hands, but soon, with the advice and support of comrades experienced in the art of woman-to-woman combat, Mary decides she won't give up without a fight. The tale's semiregressive premise has been criticized for this reason, yet this does not overshadow the host of exceptional performances and the range of complex relationships the film presents. As a fantasy of a women-only world of glamour, idle pleasures, and raw sexual competition, the film has enjoyed a cult following--owing, no doubt, in part to a hard-as-nails performance by Crawford that was credited with reviving her career.
- George Cukor directed THE WOMEN after being dismissed from the helm of GONE WITH THE WIND.
There were 135 women in the cast and not a single man.
Cukor finally accepted studio calls to have a fashion show interlude in the film; the fashion show is in color.
Cukor made three films with Joan Crawford.
Joan Crawford and Norma Shearer had a long rivalry at MGM.
Clare Boothe, writer of THE WOMEN, went on to marry the founder of Time magazine.
THE WOMEN was remade as THE OPPOSITE SEX in 1956 starring June Allyson and Joan Collins.
- Release Notes
- Region [unknown]
- Note: 2 Vintage Documentaries: From the Ends of the Earth and Hollywood Style Center of the World
- Alternate Black-and-White Fashion-Show Sequence with Different Footage
- Scoring Session Music Cues
- Theatrical Trailers of The Women (1939) and Musical Remake: The Opposite Sex
- Full Frame - 1.37
- English, French
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
- Official Trailer
- Allan Arkush on THE WOMEN
- Cast & Crew
- George Cukor
- Joan Crawford / Joan Fontaine / Paulette Goddard / Carol Hughes / Muriel Hutchison / Phyllis Povah / Rosalind Russell / Norma Shearer / Lucile Watson / Virginia Weidler / Mary Boland
- Hunt Stromberg
- Costume Designer
- Clare Boothe Luce
- Oliver T. Marsh
- Jane Murfin
- Movie Critics
- "[A] goldmine of razor-sharp insults and catty put-downs....THE WOMEN is unscrupulous, wicked and acid."— Chris Roberts (1 Dec 2004, p.181)
- Recommended Movies