Beatles - Yellow Submarine (DVD)
Dispatched in 5 to 7 working days
- R 140
The classic Beatles animated film, now fully restored in 4K and presented in the original aspect ratio of 1:66-1. Music now mixed in stunning 5.1 Surround Sound. DVD and Blu-ray will include original Mono sound and new Dolby Stereo. Packaged in a digi pack, the new DVD will include film cells of each of the Beatles characters, stickers and 2 leaflets.
- 1 Apr 2013
- Region 2
- Yellow Submarine -Feature Film/2012 Remaster
- Yellow Submarine -Mod Odyssey/2012 Remaster
- Yellow Submarine -Original Theatrical Trailer/2012 Remaster
- Supply Source
- South Africa
- Release Year
- Running Time
- 80 min
- Alternate Title
- Yellow Submarine
- Musical & Performing Arts / Musicals / Pop Music / Animation / Beatles / Fantasy / Music (General) / Music Video / Pop/Rock / Recommended / Rock And Roll / Surreal / Undersea
- In this animated feature with the Fab Four, the magical Pepperland is invaded by the Blue Meanies, who have declared war on all that is good--especially music. At the request of a befuddled emissary from Pepperland, the lads from Liverpool take a ride in their yellow submarine to aid the besieged residents in their battle.
Peter Max designed the distinctive look of the animation, and the real-live Beatles themselves appear in a brief sequence at the film's end. Includes the songs "Yellow Submarine," "Just A Northern Song," "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," "Eleanor Rigby," "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," "Nowhere Man," "A Day in the Life," and others, as well as several orchestral numbers by noted Beatle producer George Martin.
- Theatrical release: 1968
Yellow Submarine was the first feature-length animated British film in 14 years.
"All You Need Is Love"
"When I'm Sixty-Four"
"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"
"Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"
"A Day in the Life"
"All Together Now"
"Only a Northern Song"
"It's All Too Much"
"March of the Meanies"
"Pepperland Laid Waste"
"Sea of Holes"
"Sea of Monsters"
"Sea of Time"
- Cast & Crew
- Movie Critics
- Chicago Sun-Times
- "...This is a story that appeals even to young children, but it also has a knowing, funny style that adds an undertow of sophistication....The movie exists as pure charm, expressed in fantastical imagery..."— Roger Ebert (5 Sep 1999, p.5)
- Entertainment Weekly
- "[Now available in a] suitably momentous video reissue, with both its songs and its trippy images vibrantly remastered....Enough inspired surrealism to hold up 30 years later..." -- Rating: A-— Michael Sauter (17 Sep 1999, p.91)
- Film Comment
- "[T]he visual style created by Czech-German graphic designer Heinz Edelmann still dazzles today and feels more vital than any animated feature of recent years."— Dave Filipi (1 Jul 2012, )
- Sight and Sound
- "[T]he film's lasting value in both pop culture and animation history lies in art director Heinz Edelman's anything-goes approach to conceptual design..."— Michael Brooke (1 Jul 2012, )
- Total Film
- 4 stars out of 5 -- "The Beatles' 'mod odyssey' remains a riot....The trippy images and narrative stretch animation's boundaries."— Kevin Harley (1 Jun 2012, )
- "YELLOW SUBMARINE turned out to be probably the first great non-Disney animated movie, a modernesque collection of pop songs and a genuinely funny film..."— Uncut Staff (1 Jul 2012, )
- USA Today
- "...The Beatles' time-travel journey back to mod-dom..."— Mike Clark (17 Sep 1999, p.12E)
- The most successful band in musical history.
Formed in Liverpool UK during the 1960's
The lineup comprised John Lennon (vocals, guitar, keyboards), Paul McCartney (bass, guitar, vocals), George Harrison (guitar, vocals), and Ringo Starr (drums, vocals).
Following an initial period as a straightforward Mersey-beat group, later recordings saw them experiment with psychedelia, incorporating innovative production techniques involving tape loops and other effects. Although the group split in 1970, they have continued to release special products.
Inducted into Rock And Roll Hall of Fame in 1988 (Performer).
- George Harrison
- John Lennon
- Paul McCartney
- Pete Best
- Richard Starkey
- Stuart Sutcliffe